Rhône-Alpes Region – Hồ Chí Minh-City – Greater Lyon
An innovative and sustainable partnership
The Rhône-Alpes Region and HCMC established bilateral relations in 1997 and have since co-operated closely in the areas of education, health and urban management. It was in this context that in 2006, the two partners, along with the Greater Lyon Urban Community, jointly set up the Urban Development Management Support Centre, better known by the acronym PADDI, to provide support to the HCMC authorities in the urban management field in the context of rapid economic transition and modernisation of the city.
Working under the supervision of HCMC People’s Committee, PADDI is tasked with providing institutional and technical support to strengthen the capacity of the city’s specialist agencies in the field of urban management.
In response to its partners’ needs, PADDI has developed three main strands of work: in-service training courses; technical assistance; and the opening of a Resource Centre which runs a database, organises events and issues publications.
- HCMC is Việt Nam’s largest city with a population of 7.5 million.
- It spreads over an area of 2,096 km² and its population density is 27,752 people per km².
- The HCMC metropolitan area accounts for 20% of Việt Nam’s GDP.
Rhône-Alpes Region et Greater Lyon Urban Community
- The Rhône-Alpes region covers an area of almost 44,000 km² and has a population of over 6 million.
- Greater Lyon occupies 0.1% of its territory and is home to 1.3 million people. It has the highest regional density, averaging 2,460 people/km².
- The Rhône-Alpes Region accounts for 9.8% of France’s GDP.